This meal is perfect for a family – it cost under $10! And you literally throw it all in the crock pot and set it and forget it! Slow cooker meals are simple and easy to make for those busy working moms!
What you need:
2 tablespoons EVOO – Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
1/2 pound ground turkey1 taco seasoning packet
1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
2 teaspoon of minced garlic
1 cup of crushed taco shells
1 can of tomatoes with chilies (such as Rotel)
1 can black beans lightly drained
1 1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
1. In a medium saucepan, cook onion and garlic until onions are clear. Make sure you do not burn the garlic.
2. Add ground turkey to pan, cook until no longer red and lightly brown. Ground turkey does not have as much fat in it therefore it becomes more dry in the pan so add a little bit of water in it. Stir in beans.
3. Add in taco seasoning. I did not use the whole packet- only about half. A little bit goes a long way.
4. Pour in one can of Rotel tomatoes with chilies. Not a fan of spicy just get a can of crushed tomatoes or use a mild salsa.
5. To assemble lasagna layer a third of the meat mixture down on the bottom of the a slow cooker pot, top with third of the cheese, then layer 3 corn tortillas on top. Repeat this layering method 2 more times, then place the lid on and cook, undisturbed, for 4 hours on high or 5 hours on low.
Tip- for added crunch I sprinkled on a layer of taco shells. Or you can use corn chips!